You will need a 3 Quart pot to melt the soap, a grater, and a 5 gallon bucket with lid to store the final product.
Ingredients:
1 bar Fels Naptha laundry soap, grated
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
3/4 cup Borax
Combine soap and 4 cups water in pot and melt over low heat, stirring occasionally. While the soap is melting, fill 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of warm water. Dissolve Borax and Washing Soda in bucket of water. Pour melted soap mixture into bucket and stir until thoroughly blended. Cover and let sit over night. The detergent will solidify on top of a layer of water. Stir until blended. The final product will be a gloppy mixture (for lack of better way of describing it).
Use 1-1.5 cups per load depending on amount of dirt and size of load.
A few notes of my own:
- The original recipe calls for only 1/3 bar of soap. I use a full bar to make a super concentrated detergent. My husband is military and I have three boys, so I REALLY need something that will remove odors and stains.
- You can use any bar of soap, but I have found that Fels Naptha and Zote (available at a Mexican grocery store) work best.
- I stir with a slotted spoon because it helps break up the final product better.
- If you like scent to your detergent, just add 1oz of pure extract of your favorite scent, available at Hobby Lobby or other craft store. Or just use Fabric Softener.
- I actually marked the water level on the bucket so I wouldn't have to measure every time.

thanks Tina, especially for the extra tips!
ReplyDeleteDo you mean the "20-Mule-Team" Borax, or something else? Will this work with a front-loader, or does it lather too much?
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued :0
Julie
Julie: Yes, 20 Mule. The detergent works for any machine, as it doesn't lather at all. And my recipe costs about $.05 a load. The only thing it hasn't fully cleaned is a pair of pants my 3-year-old wore to a ballpark. In the south, our ball fields are made with RED CLAY!! I have been using it for about a year and love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks :0)
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of adding some smell-nice, too.