Friday, January 29, 2010

The Goodnight Song

Preface: This post contains music theory references that I simply do not have time to define.


Long before we had kids, the hubs and I made up some lyrics to the lullaby song. We knew it had lyrics, but couldn't remember, so we made up some of the stupidest words ever. Little did we know that this song would become part of the nightly routine for our boys. They LOVE it. The hubs changes it up every now and then, and it doesn't really matter that the number of syllables outnumbers the allotted number of beats in the phrase. He just crams them all in or adds a 7/4 measure (for all you music geeks).

One night, out of the blue, when hubs reached the end, our 3-year-old broke out into his own tag ending...and now, every night, he changes it up. We never know what he's gonna come up with, but we do know that even if he changes key initially, he finds his way back to the original key with a V-I ending.

The Goodnight Song

Go to sleep. Go to sleep.
Go to sleep my big, huge boy Little Man**
It is late and you are tired, so just close your eyes and dream.
When you open your eyes, the sun will be awake.

Tag ending (usually in half-time and sung by Little Man):

and I will go potty and get back in bed and my brothers will go to school

or

and I will go potty and get back in bed and ride my bike


Usually the potty and bed part stay the same. After that you never know what's gonna come out. Sheer cuteness, folks. Just ask Webster.

***Obviously, in "real" life, we use his name, but the innerwebs gets his nickname.


3 comments:

  1. Very, very sweet. Hope you get at least an audio recording, sometime.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to video it. Little Man just grins and when he starts singing his tag ending, his little head bobs in time to the music.

    I'm telling you...the definition of cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you have to video that, and soon, bc kids move through those kinds of phases quickly.

    My favorite lullaby is by Sara Groves called "Morning will be on the other side." http://amzn.com/B002YOEZ7Y

    I love it when my kids are calm enough for me to sing to them at bedtime. Okay, when *I'm* calm enough to sing to them at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online