I was pleased with this recipe because I wasn't really sure how much espresso to use. Generally, in cakes of this flavor combo the espresso overpowers the chocolate (seems illogical, but it happens). I truly like to taste the separate flavors. This cake resulted in a chocolate cake with hints of espresso, and it was truly delicious.
You will need:
1 3/4 c AP Flour
2 c Sugar
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
dash of cayenne or cinnamon (optional)
2 eggs
1 c buttermilk
1/2 oil of your choice
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c espresso + 1/2 c boiling water
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Combine wet ingredients (except water and espresso) in separate bowl. Slowly add water/espresso .
Fold or mix wet and dry ingredients until well incorporated. Pour into 13x9x2 greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. When done, the cake should still appear "wet" on top, but will be springy to the touch. Be careful not to remove too soon or it will fall.
I made a standard buttercream frosting (confectioner's sugar, vanilla, butter, milk), but next time I think I'll add shortening to the frosting to create more "fluff"
For your viewing pleasure, I have included a photo of our cake after the hubs and I got ahold of it. We like to leave cakes within easy access for drive-by tastings as we pass through the kitchen. I made a joke with the hubs about him "evening up the side" after I had cut a chunk off. What ensued was a little game of "Let's see how awkward we can cut the cake." I bested him.
Never go in against a Scandinavian Cherokee when cake is on the line:

Mmmm!
ReplyDeleteZ says if you tilt your head 'this way' it looks like a seahorse, and if you tilt your head 'that way' it looks like a man. :)